Thursday, October 27, 2011

Resolution 2010: Race 1--New Year's Day

In the last several years, I've been obsessed with making New Year's Resolutions...
...and if I do say so myself, I've been pretty fantastic about keeping them.  Back in 2007, my N.Y.R. was to run a marathon, so I found a training plan, and on October 7, 2007, I ran the Portland Marathon (my very first 'long distance' race) in around 5 and a half hours.
In 2008, I hit the heaviest weight I had ever been in my life (bad eating habits mainly, as I was still exercising on a fairly consistent basis), so my 2009 N.Y.R. was to get serious about my health and lose weight the healthy way.  So I joined Weight Watchers, and over the course of the year I dropped 40 pounds.  The program really worked for me, and I'm happy to say that, thanks to the amazing lessons in portion control, I'm still in my "skinny clothes" and snuggled happily in my healthy weight range!
At the end of 2009, once I had lost all my weight, I decided to devote myself to running again.  Therefore, my 2010 N.Y.R. was to run a race for every major holiday that year.  No easy feat considering that if I was going to truly stick to the plan, I needed to do my very first run on New Year's Day, after celebrating the night before.  But I figured, if I could get myself up at 8am on January 1st to go run 3.1 miles, the rest of the holiday runs that year would be a snap!  I was in Boise that year for the Christmas holiday visiting my family, so on New Year's Day, I got up bright and early, drove to downtown Boise, and in the parking lot of the Ram Restaurant and Brewery toed the start line with hundreds of other avid runners for the New Year's Day 5K.
It was cold and raining that morning, which would have bothered some people, but I was just so excited that I had started my 2010 resolution off the right way, there could have been a blizzard out and I wouldn't have cared one bit.  I don't quite remember what my actual time was, but I know that it was just over 30 minutes.  And the best part of the whole experience was that I started my 2010 N.Y.R. Racing T-Shirt Collection with this little beauty...
So that was Race #1...I promise to keep the N.Y.R. race stories coming in the next several posts until you get to see all of my awesome 2010 running shirts.

What's the most memorable N.Y.R. (New Year's Resolution) you've ever kept?

No comments:

Post a Comment