Sunday, October 9, 2011

Point Wilson Lighthouse Visit

This Saturday, I was enjoying staying snuggled up under the warmth of my blankets and down comforter in bed until an absolutely appallingly late hour, just being lazy and relaxed...and then we hit a bump in the road and I was jolted out of my day dream only to realize that I was in a school van at an appallingly early hour on my way to a cross country invite.  The meet was a 2 and a half hour drive from school at Fort Worden all the way out in Port Townsend, which is at the tip of the Quimper Peninsula on the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
The kids did great, the weather ended up being gorgeous and sunny, one of my runner's moms made us a bunch of wonderful goodies (wontons and individual meatloaves...yum yum!), but I have to say that the best part of the day came after all the racing and eating was done, and we headed out to Point Wilson on the very tip of the peninsula to see the lighthouse!
With the sun shining and the Puget Sound in the background, we couldn't have asked for a prettier setting to view this beautiful structure.
The lighthouse was originally built in 1859, and then in 1913 it was restructured into the wonderful old building it is today.  I just love lighthouses, something about them is just so magical and almost peaceful.  Plus, they remind me of the movie Pete's Dragon, which was one of my favorites growing up!
I mean, come on, who didn't want a pet like Elliott when they were growing up?!?!?!? An adorable cartoon dragon, sign me up!  After all, like the song says, "A dragon is just one more stranger in search of a friend"!


Anyway, this lighthouse was amazing up close.  You couldn't actually go in, but you could walk right up to it.  The house is even still standing where the lighthouse watcher and his family used to live back in the day when someone manned it on a daily basis.
And if you look really close at the next picture, you can see the plaque on the front that reads '1913'...very cool!
This last picture is my favorite, with the Puget Sound in the background and the clear blue sky...absolutely beautiful!
Such an amazing experience, I don't think I would have traded seeing this wonderful old building for anything, even the chance to sleep in on a Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment