Thursday, October 20, 2011

Making Progress...

It's almost the end of October, and with the end of the month comes the end of my first season coaching cross country.  I have to say that it has been a whirlwind season...it feels like it just started, and now it's coming to a close.  While I knew that helping out with cross country, and thereby being given the opportunity to run every day of the week, could have the added benefit of improving my running, I still spent most of the time feeling like this...
The biggest problem I faced in overcoming my mentality about improving as a runner was that, while I was getting better, so were all of the cross country kids!  Logically, I knew that I had to be improving, at least slightly, because of the amount I was running, not to mention the fact that I was being forced to keep up with kids who were much faster than me.  Somehow, the math teacher in me overlooked the fact that because the kids and I were doing the same workouts, we were improving at the same rate.  That meant that as the weeks went on, I was keeping up...but I was still f-ing winded and tired as hell after every single workout, even though my runners didn't look nearly as tired and winded as I did. What the heck is up with that?!?!?!  So because of this, it really never occurred to me how much better I have actually gotten over the past two months...that is, until our workout on Monday afternoon.
The coach wanted the kids to run 3 one-mile repeats on the track at just under race pace for a good speed workout that day.  He was going to run with the boys at 6:30/mile pace, and he wanted me to run with the girls to make sure they stayed at 8:00/mile pace.  In my mind, I was thinking 'Are you freaking kidding me?! I haven't run an 8 minute mile since I was in high school!  How on Earth am I supposed to run that fast over 10 years later?!?!?!' (No wise cracks about how old I am please!)  But I decided to suck it up and run, and at least try to keep up with them through the first mile, then let them complete the other 2 mile repeats on their own.  We started the first mile, and I was keeping the time to make sure that we were completing each lap in two minutes.  The first lap went by nice and easy, but I thought for sure that the next couple laps would be my downfall...but as we kept going, I noticed that I was feeling, dare I say it...GREAT!  I finished the first mile with the girls in 8 minutes, and honestly felt like I could have run faster.  After our 2 minute break, we did our second mile repeat, and again, I ran it in 8 minutes without any trouble.  And after another 2 minute break, the girls and I finished our third 8 minute mile successfully, and all at once it hit me...I just finished three miles at 8:00 pace knowing that I could have run them faster!  I experienced such an extreme feeling of accomplishment in that moment, I might as well have won a marathon...
...So it's official, I've gotten much faster since the beginning of cross country season without even realizing it.  If you had told me back in August that by the end of October, I'd be able to run a sub-8 minute mile, I would have laughed in your face.  But it just goes to show you what you can accomplish as long as you are willing to work hard.  Now the question becomes, can I keep up this hard work, and keep myself in this great of shape, without my cross country kids there to push me?  Only time will tell.

What's your greatest running accomplishment?

No comments:

Post a Comment