Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Friends and Food and Snow, Oh My!

This weekend was pretty monumental...three friends who haven't been in the same area together for FIVE YEARS were able to get together and have an amazing girls' weekend!  And who were these three friends you might be asking, well I'll tell you...it was me and my two closest friends from high school, Heather and Megan!
Fate definitely conspired to bring us together for this wonderful weekend of super girlie fun...my incredibly talented, intelligent friend Megan (the gorgeous red-head in the middle) is in medical school right now and is currently going through the process of interviewing for residency spots with different schools/hospitals.  And which places did she have scheduled to interview with this coming week but University of Washington and Virginia Mason.  Well of course, she wasn't allowed the option of staying anywhere else but with me, which would have been fun in and of itself.  But good ol' fate wasn't done yet...when Heather found out which weekend Megan was going to be up here staying with me (which she only found about a couple of weeks ago), our savvy, uber-travelling Southern California blonde bombshell friend immediately started looking for plane tickets and was able to find a reasonably priced ticket so that she could come stay for the weekend as well!  Let the good times roll...

Both Heather and Megan got into town by 11am Saturday, and we immediately headed to Duke's Chowder House for some yummy chowder and the start to a weekend of much needed girl talk!
This was the gorgeous view of the South Sound from our table...and yes, we were inside.  What do you think we're nuts, it was cold outside!  Next we went back to my house, which both Heath and Megs saw for the very first time this weekend.  We relaxed for a while, then slowly but surely started to get ready for our big girls' night out for a wonderful dinner and drinks at one of my favorite restaurants in Tacoma, Indochine Asian Dining Lounge.
As you can see from the picture, the atmosphere inside is absolutely awesome, and that's only one of the things to LOVE about this place.  The service is incredibly fast (I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes from the time I ordered my food to the time it was set in front of me steaming hot and ready to eat), everything I've tried, from appetizers to entrees to desserts, is fantastically delicious, and they carry a wine that is currently one of my favorites, Trefili Pinot Grigio.
The dinner was so tasty, but the portions are huge, so we needed to take home leftovers, which of course only means one thing...yummy yummy leftovers for breakfast on Sunday!!!
Happy happy tummies!!!  Since Saturday was Girls' Night Out, Sunday was Girls' Night In.  Megan is an excellent cook and baker, and since Heather and I are not so much 'with the cooking', she offered to make us a homecooked meal, complete with dessert.  Fine by us!  Since it had started to snow, and people in the PNW (Pacific Northwest) aren't so great at driving in the snow, we decided to jump into our warm clothes, strap on our boots, and walk to the grocery store to pick up the necessary ingredients.  The Albertson's is only a few blocks away, and the snow was so pretty, so it ended up being a very fun adventure.
We got all the fixin's to make homemade macaroni and cheese and gooey chocolatey brownies...or I guess I should say for Megan to make homemade macaroni and cheese and gooey chocolatey brownies while Heather and I watched.  I did help a little by grating cheese and making homemade chocolate hazelnut ice cream to go with the brownies.  In between all the cooking, baking and eating, we watched movies and played games, including one very hilarious round of Imaginiff...
...Heather got this particular question...and being the child-loving, maternal-type lady that she is (insert 'dripping with sarcasm' voice here), it's probably no surprise that it was decided unanimously that she would be a #6!!!  All in all, the evening was a ton of fun, due in large part to the fact that we were getting uncharacteristic snowy weather, which Heather is not used to seeing in SoCal, and so was super excited to watch it fall out the window all evening long.
Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and yesterday evening, after another fun day of lounging around together, Heather headed back to Cali and Megan headed up to Seattle for her interviews.  Hopefully it won't be another 5 years before we get to do this again!  I miss them already!!!

This morning I got the call telling me we had a snow day...
...which seemed a little silly to me because by 8:30am even the side streets had enough traffic on them that they were drive-able, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm enjoying the day off by watching the snow and relaxing.  Tonight, the PNW is supposed to get another 8" of snow in certain areas, especially the South Sound...not looking good for in-school days the rest of the week!

If you're in the Seattle area, how are you enjoying the snow?

No comments:

Post a Comment