Monday, February 13, 2012

MTP Week 3 Overview...

The moral of the story this week: hill repeats = sore ass!
I don't know who the first runner was to decide that sprinting up a hill, jogging back down to the bottom, then sprinting back up again, over and over, was a good idea for a workout, but I've decided that that runner was definitely a masochist!  With or without the murderous hills, this week wasn't that great for me, time-wise or energy-wise.

Here's the rundown of my mediocre week in training:

Monday: 3 miles in 28:44...I missed my headlamp run with the group because the plumbing in my house was on the fritz and the plumber decided the explanation of what needed to be done should go on ad nauseum until it was too late to make my run, and too dark to run outside by myself.  So to the gym I went, and it just wasn't a very good workout for me.  I did the cross country course on the treadmill, but I wasn't able to finish in a time I was used to, and so overall the night was extremely frustrating.

Tuesday: 8x200 meter hill repeats...with a mile run to the hill, and a mile run back from the hill...oh, and did I mention that you basically sprint up a hill that has a 15-18% grade EIGHT TIMES IN A ROW with a 2 minute break in between each repeat...oh yeah, and part of that 2 minutes get used up jogging back down to the bottom of the hill so that you can start over again.  I know that this will help make me faster and be an essential part of dropping my time so I can qualify for Boston, but I'd be lying if I said I liked it.

Wednesday: Stretching/rest...I don't think I could even begin to explain how sore my ass was after all those hills!

Thursday: 7 miles in 1:08:20...surprise, surprise, my ass was still sore, so I wasn't able to run as well as I thought I was going to, and after dropping 5 minutes off my 7 mile time the previous week, I only dropped 1 minute off my time this week.

Friday: Stretching/rest...umm, ASS.STILL.SORE!

Saturday: 11 miles in 1:45:44...this run didn't feel very good at all, I got tired almost immediately, even though I wasn't running any faster than I had the weekend before, and by the end I was completely exhausted.  I know I should be happy that I'm completing my mileage, but I just feel like, at this point, I should be making progress and feeling better each time.  I just got a little discouraged that I felt worse this week even though the run was only two miles longer than the previous week.  Hopefully this coming week's long run will be better!

Sunday: Stretching/rest...so sore and tired.

So as you can tell, this past week wasn't a combination of my best performances, but hopefully it can only go up from here.  Week 4 is going to look a little like this:

Monday: 3 miles
Tuesday: 8x200 meter hill repeats
Wednesday: Stretching/rest
Thursday: 7 miles
Friday: Stretching/rest
Saturday: 13 miles
Sunday: Stretching/rest

Here's to better weeks...any suggestions to bounce back from a rough training week?

No comments:

Post a Comment