Sunday, February 5, 2012

MTP Week 2 Overview...

New shoes, head lamps, and bald eagles...the three things that characterized this week's training runs.

Here's the low down on my weekly runs:

Monday: This was the first week where we did an evening group run, complete with reflective gear and head lamps!
 I had never run with a head lamp, so this was a totally new experience for me...and I thrived!  I felt invigorated running in the dark, probably because no one could really see me, so I didn't have to worry about looking funny or people watching/judging my running.  I ended up being the first member of the group to finish the 3 mile run, and I ran those 3 miles in 26:59!  Fastest time yet.

Tuesday: 7 miles in 1:09:13...I was suffering from the three blisters and bum toenail I had earned the week before from my too small running shoes, so I decided to complete this particular run on the elliptical machine at the gym to try to give my feet a bit of a break since I wasn't going to be able to purchase a new pair of shoes until the next day.  I used the Cross Country setting on the machine to simulate a hill workout, so I still got a pretty good 'run' in.

Wednesday: Stretching/rest...Headed out to Fleet Feet in Bonney Lake and used my day off to get a new, bigger pair of running shoes.  Tried several pairs on, and at first I had a very hard time trying to pick out a pair of shoes that were a full size too big, but eventually I ended up choosing my very first pair of Brooks running shoes, the Brooks Ghost 4!
Aren't they beautiful?!?!?!  I'm normally an Asics girl, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how comfortable these shoes are to run in!  I would recommend them with two thumbs way up.

Thursday: 8 miles in 1:17:32...used my new shoes for the first time as I did my 8 miler along Ruston Way, and dropped 4 minutes off my time from the previous Saturday.  Pretty freaking awesome if I do say so myself!

Friday: Stretching/rest...calves and shins were a little sore from the previous day's long run in a brand new pair of shoes, but other than that I felt great.

Saturday: 9 miles in 1:25:49...the Saturday morning group run was a little on the cold side when we started out, but I was feeling pretty good, and ended up keeping all of my mile splits under 10 minutes.  Additionally, I was spurred on/inspired by a bald eagle that flew directly over my head as I was cruising along at around mile 4.
It couldn't have been more than 50 feet above me, and it was an amazing experience!  I even ended up finishing my last mile with a 9:10 split, my fastest split of the run!

Sunday: Stretching/rest

Overall, this was a great running week.  I'm starting to feel more confident that I'm going to slowly, but surely, work my way toward my ultimate goal...qualifying for Boston!  This coming week should be interesting as not only do we start our hill training, but we also hit double digits on our long run...

Monday: 3 mile head lamp group night run
Tuesday: 3.5 mile with hill repeats (yikes!)
Wednesday: Stretching/rest
Thursday: 7 mile run
Friday: Stretching/rest
Saturday: 12 mile run (double yikes!)
Sunday: Stretching/rest

MTP Week 3...HERE I COME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment