Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I'm Going to Host a Race!!!!

As I've become more and more, for lack of a better word, obsessed with running, I've started to do things that my former non-running self would never have contemplated doing.  Something as simple as subscribing to Runner's World magazine...
...would have seemed silly to me even a couple of years ago, but now, all I want to do is learn more about how to become a better runner.  The other day, I received the very first issue of my very own subscription to this mecca of running knowledge.  I started to devour the magazine from cover to cover, and came upon a story about a race called the Tunnel to Towers Run.
The article was about Stephen Siller, a FDNY firefighter who lost his life saving others from the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.  The story told about how he was stuck in traffic as he was about to enter the 1.7 mile long tunnel from Brooklyn to Manhatten, and so got out of his car and ran through the tunnel and straight to the South Tower.  Sadly, he was still in the South Tower when it collapsed.  His siblings decided to honor his life with a race following his path of heroism that day, and thus an amazingly wonderful event came out of a tragic day.
The most amazing part about the race is that right before the finish line, 343 firefighters stand on either side of the course, each wearing a picture of one of the 343 firefighters who lost their lives saving others on 9/11.

They are also lined up with 343 flags, commemorating the lives of those same firefighters.


I immediately went to the website to find out more about the race, and saw that the proceeds go to such amazing programs as the Wounded Warrior Program and funding for scholarships for children of military members, among others.  Another great thing that I discovered is that they host races all across the country.  Unfortunately, when I clicked to see where there was a "Race Near You", I found that there was only one that was remotely close, and it is held all the way up in Ferndale, WA.  It shocked me that there wasn't one held a little closer to Tacoma.  As I continued to browse the website, I came across an option to "Host a Race".  I started to think about the idea of bringing a wonderful race like this to the area.  I love to run races, so how much more fulfilling could hosting a race be, especially a race like this?!  So...

...I emailed the race organizers that I was interested in being a host for a future Tunnel to Towers Run in the Tacoma area, and they emailed me back today saying that they would love to have me host the race!!!!  So this weekend, once I get home from our Cross Country meet, I get to read through all of the materials they sent me about how to go about starting this process.  I'm a little nervous, but mainly, I'm excited.  The one thing I do know is that this is going to be a lot of work (rewarding for sure, but still, a lofty goal), so anyone who would like to help me get this awesome event up and running in time for Sunday, September 9th, 2012, please let me know!!!

So, anyone want to help me get the Tacoma Tunnel to Towers Run going?????

No comments:

Post a Comment